There are three levels to becoming a Data Scientist from scratch. The primary level gives a student the basic knowledge of Data Science. The second...
Irem Ergun, Machine Learning Engineer
Irem Ergum is a Machine learning engineer with a background in MS, Computer Science. She has more than 6 years of experience in machine learning, and is a part of the conversational AI team developing LLMs at Cohere.
Irem Ergum is an accomplished machine-learning professional in the technology field. She is a Ph.D. candidate at the University of California, Riverside. Having 4.5+ years of research expertise, and also is a teaching assistant.
She is passionate about creating state-of-the-art machine learning systems and is knowledgeable in developing and maintaining machine learning workflows(MLOps).
Before starting her Ph.D., she worked in the technology industry for a while. She has three years of expertise in software engineering and system design.
Her two papers were recognized, out of which one is on Secure Aggregation for Privacy-Aware Federated Learning with Limited Resources, which was accepted at the ICLR Socially Responsible ML Workshop 2022.
This project proposes a light version of secure aggregation protocol for private federations by reducing communication overhead up to 10 times per round.
Using genome data, she developed semi-supervised learning approaches for detecting specific types of breast cancer. The project had been selected as the semester’s finest undergraduate research project.
A few of her machine learning projects and other research are a text generator built using LSTMs, a face generator using GANs, and music genre prediction using CNNs.
Her interest in technology persuaded her to start a blog named 2cute2tech, an inclusive space for professionals to create educational content.
- University of California, Riverside, Master of Science- MS, Computer Science(Sep 2018- Dec 2022)
- Udacity, Nano Degree, Natural Language Processing (Sep2022-Oct 2022)
- University of California, Riverside, Ph.D., Candidate(C.Phil.), Computer Science (Sep 2020-Oct 2022)
- Udacity, Nano degree, Deep learning (Apr 2022-Jun 2022)
- Bilkent University, Bachelors Degree, Computer Science ( 2013-2017)
- Ankara Ataturk Lisesi, High School Diploma( Sep 2009- Jun2013)
- Machine Learning Engineer at Cohere, Riverside, California, United States (Jan 2023 – Present )
- Graduate Student Researcher at the University of California, Riverside (Sep 2018 – Dec 2022 )
- Global Teaching Fellow Internship at Delta Analytics (May 2021 – Sep 2021)
- Software Engineer at Comodo, Ankara, Turkey (Oct 2017 – Mar 2018)
- Software Engineer at OpsGenie, Ankara, Turkey (Jul 2017 – Oct 2017)
- Secure aggregation for privacy-aware federated learning with limited resources (May 2021 – Feb 2022)
- Sparsified secure aggregation for privacy-preserving federated learning (Apr 2021 – Dec 2021)
- Understanding/Detecting Microaggressions in Turkish (May 2021 – Sep 2021)
About Our Editorial Policy
At 10Pie, we follow strict guidelines and policies to ensure the quality, relevance, and trustworthiness of the content. We aim to write and publish blog articles that are unbiased, credible, and timely updated for freshness. Read more about our editorial process.