⏱️ First Published: 16th May 2022 | Last Updated: 14th September 2023
We last updated this article on 14th September 2023 to include a more easy-to-understand analogy to explain cloud computing to you like you’re a 6-year old.
In today’s world, cloud computing is a very popular word, and many people have heard about it. But what is the meaning of cloud computing, and how can you explain it to a 6-year-old?
In this guide, we’ve explained everything about cloud computing and its Importance in the simplest way.
Without any further delay, Let’s begin.
📌 Table of Contents
- Explain cloud computing to a child
- History of Cloud Computing
- Core elements of cloud computing
- Benefits of cloud computing
- Final words
How do you explain cloud computing to a child?
Cloud computing delivers services like servers, storage, database, networking, software, etc., services provided over the internet (i.e., cloud) to make the process easier, faster and innovative for companies’ growth.
Cloud computing is used by almost all big companies, including Google Drive, Gmail, Netflix, Facebook, AWS, Adobe, and many more uses these services over the internet.
Cloud computing is nothing but a service provider that anyone can take on rent without owning their own space like server, storage, database, and software. Instead of owning their own space, companies rent these storage, servers, etc. It helps them avoid the upfront cost and complexity of maintaining their own IT infrastructure.
Relevant read: Top cloud computing books to read this year
Let’s explain cloud computing to you like you are a 6-year-old with an easy-to-understand example:
First, Imagine that you have a magical backpack 🎒 that can hold all your toys 🧸, games 🎮, and books 📚.
You can play with them whenever you want, even if you’re not at home.
In this case, the magical backpack is like the cloud ☁️.
- The Cloud is like your Magical Backpack
- Cloud ☁️ = Magical Backpack 🎒
- Your Stuff (Toys 🧸, Games 🎮, Books 📚) = Data and Programs 📂🔄
- Accessing Your Magical Backpack
- When you want to play with your toys or games, you reach into your backpack and take them out.
- When people want to use their computer programs or access their information, they can do it through the cloud, like opening their magical backpack 🎒.
- Storing and Sharing
- You can put more and more toys and games into your magical backpack 🎒, and it never gets too heavy.
- People can store lots of important stuff, like pictures 📷 and documents 📄, in the cloud ☁️ without worrying about running out of space.
- Sharing with Friends
- Sometimes, you let your friends 👫 borrow toys from your magical backpack 🎒 so they can play with them.
- In the cloud ☁️, you can share your files 📁 or programs 📦 with your friends or family 👨👩👧👦, and they can use them too, even if they’re far away.
- Always Available
- Your magical backpack 🎒 is always with you, so you can play whenever you want.
- The cloud ☁️ is always available on the internet 🌐, so people can access their stuff from their computers 💻, phones 📱, or tablets 📟 whenever they need it.
Connecting to Real Cloud Computing Terms:
- The “cloud” in cloud computing is like your magical backpack 🎒 that holds data and programs 📂🔄.
- Just as you can access your toys from your backpack, people can access their digital stuff through the cloud ☁️.
- Storing data in the cloud ☁️ is like putting your toys and games in your magical backpack 🎒.
- Sharing files through the cloud ☁️ is like letting your friends borrow toys from your backpack 🎒.
- The cloud ☁️ is always available online 🌐, just like your magical backpack 🎒 is always with you.
So, cloud computing is like having a magical, online backpack ☁️ where you can store and share your digital things, and it’s always there whenever you need it, just like your trusty magical backpack 🎒!
Learn about cloud computing career paths with complete roadmap.
History of Cloud Computing
The concept of cloud computing came in the 1960s when companies were renting computers rather than buying their own. That’s how the idea of time-sharing comes, and companies start taking the internet services online without owning themselves.
The process of cloud computing services came in the 2000s when technology grew up, and companies started using the time-sharing concept, and that’s how cloud computing came into the market.
Nowadays, Amazon Web Services is the biggest example of using cloud computing services that are doing $180 billion a year of business worldwide in 2021.
What are the core elements of cloud computing?
Cloud computing can be broken down into three elements, i.e., SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS. These are different parts of technology used for other cases. Let’s discuss the details!
- SaaS (Software as a Service): Software as a Service (SaaS) is just a way of delivering the Software over the Internet. Instead of installing and maintaining softwares, companies can easily access it on the internet without focusing on complexity and management. In simple words, anyone can rent the software without owning its own and use it over the internet without any management, infrastructure, or complexity. Just pay the rent and use it accordingly.
- Infrastructure as a service (IaaS): Infrastructure as a Service is referred to as providing physical or virtual servers, storage, and networking that companies take on rent rather than building their server and IT infrastructure. So it saves a huge cost of setup and maintaining the IT Infrastructure.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): Platform as a Service (PaaS) is another service provider that provides storage, virtual servers, and networking that includes tools and softwares. So that anyone can easily take the services without owning themselves.
Also, learn about possible cloud computing research topics.
Benefits of Cloud Computing
Cloud computing comes with huge benefits, and businesses have so many advantages of using cloud computing for their business growth. Let’s see!
1. Cost Savings
Cloud computing is the most affordable and cost-saving method. Companies can rent their servers instead of setting up their servers. Companies can easily take the server on rent and easily access the company’s data without any worry about IT infrastructure and managing databases. It’s a simple pay-as-you-go system where companies need to pay the rent and use the servers, storage, and networking according to their requirements.
When setting up cloud servers, many companies need to focus on security and safety issues, but now they’re taking the services of other cloud computing services that will handle the security, and companies can easily work on the server without worrying about the security.
Here, youu’ll learn about the cloud computing security risks and how to mitigate them.
Cloud computing comes with super flexibility, and companies can take their services according to the organization’s size, business needs, workload, etc. Cloud computing services come with huge flexibility and different options so that companies can use them only as required.
According to the statistics, 2.6 billion smartphones are being used globally. So it’s essential that cloud computing is compatible with mobile and easily accessible to corporate data via smartphones. Cloud computing services are easily accessible from mobiles and make the work more productive.
Cloud computing provides virtual Services that support the environment and cut down on paper waste, improving energy and reducing emissions. It’s more sustainable for businesses and the environment.
6. Automatic software updates
Whenever companies use these cloud computing services, they are automatically updated and refreshed without requesting new updates.
7. Increase Collaboration
Cloud computing allows anyone from anywhere to use the cloud services and connect over the internet worldwide. Now the only requirement is the Internet to use cloud computing services.
Cloud computing is a high-tech technology that helps businesses work more efficiently and deliver their products/services better. By using cloud computing services, businesses save their time, efforts, and money on these IT resources and mainly focus on their business growth.
Further cloud computing resources:
- Top online and offline cloud computing courses in Delhi
- Cloud computing seminar topics for presentation
According to the statistics, over 100 zettabytes (or a trillion gigabytes) of data will be stored in the cloud by 2025. The demand for cloud computing services is growing rapidly, and it’s a great technology for those organizations that have requirements for cloud services. Instead of setting up their cloud infrastructure, they can easily rent the cloud computing services and use them according to their work requirements.
We hope this article helps you know everything about cloud computing and its benefits.
Drop your comment and let me know your opinion about Cloud Computing and how you see the future of cloud computing?